ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — UK & Ireland (also known as Index to Theses):
The most comprehensive available record of doctoral theses from the United Kingdom and Ireland, now available on ProQuest.
Expanding ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Content Internationally
ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — UK & Ireland (PQDT — UK & Ireland) has been meticulously compiling citations to British and Irish dissertations and theses. The corpus of U.K. and Ireland dissertations and master’s theses in this product currently comprises over half a million records, with some additional 15,000 citations added annually.
The collection offers:
- The most comprehensive available listing of theses, with abstracts accepted for higher degrees by universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland, since 1716.
- Access to bibliographic coverage of theses produced by British and Irish universities.
- Bibliographic listings for content for 1950-1986.
- Abstracts for content since 1986.
Complete records, with the most comprehensive coverage
A growing number of open-access U.K. and Ireland theses are listed on institutional repositories, but they are only a small percentage of the total number of theses produced annually.
Unlike institutional repositories, PQDT — UK & Ireland does not rely on individual academics to upload their works, ensuring coverage from leading British universities. PQDT — UK & Ireland also offers consistent bibliographic standards across all records, and easy cross searching of all U.K. graduate works, as well as global coverage when combined with ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (PQDT).
Valued content that’s affordable and precise
The United Kingdom and Ireland boast many of the world’s leading research universities. Graduate works from British and Irish institutions have been frequently requested by ProQuest’s existing PQDT customers.
And because PQDT — UK & Ireland is on the ProQuest platform, other benefits include:
- No need for training: PQDT — UK & Ireland is as easy as using PQDT. Access this unique collection of dissertation records without having to learn how to navigate a new interface.
- Cross search with other ProQuest products for higher usage rates, with less library administration.
- Search PQDT — UK & Ireland records concurrently with PQDT to provide your library users with a complete view of English-language dissertations and theses.
- No more searching across multiple databases; it’s all in one place!
- No unique set up or software required.
Ask us about:
- Upgrade offers for PQDT – Full Text
- Digitization and archiving of your retrospective dissertations
- Special discounts on large orders or dissertation copy purchases
Find University of Leeds theses
You can find PhD and doctoral theses from the University of Leeds using our Library search.
The simple search allows you to search by subject and filter by “Library Catalogue” and “Dissertation”. Use the advanced search if you want to search by title or author.
Theses are kept in the Library stores. To access a print thesis, select “In Store – Request here” in the record. We will email you when it is available. Please allow at least 48 hours.
Theses cannot be taken out of the libraries.
Find Leeds theses online
Search White Rose eTheses Online for online theses from the universities of Leeds, Sheffield, and York.
Digital copies of Leeds theses may also be available through the Electronic Theses Online Service provided by the British Library.
Please note that some theses are unavailable as the research is commercially sensitive or confidential.
Find a UK thesis
Search for theses from other UK institutions using the Electronic Theses Online Service (EThOS), which is provided by the British Library.
You can also find UK theses on the Index to theses database. The database contains titles and abstracts of theses accepted for higher degrees by universities in Great Britain and Ireland.
If you cannot find the thesis using these services, our Document Supply service may be able to help.
Find an international thesis
Non-UK theses can be very difficult to obtain. In some countries, universities are working together to make full-text electronic collections of theses available via the web.
Try the following databases:
Unfortunately, most requests made through our Document Supply service are unsuccessful
Purchase access to a thesis
You can also buy theses through the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database if they are not available by any other means.
The database has international coverage of PhD and Masters theses from 1861 to the present. Theses published since 1980 include author abstracts, and some titles are available in full text.